Thursday, 11 June 2015

London Fashion Weekend 2015

 

~ London Fashion Weekend 2015 ~
 
This February I had the fantastic opportunity to work at London Fashion Weekend for the second time, which I was so excited about as I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time round. In 2013 during my first year at university at the London College of Fashion, University of the Arts, I worked at both London Fashion Week and London Fashion Weekend, which you can read all about here:
 
 
This year I worked backstage for two days over the weekend at 11 shows in total which included two designers: Halston Heritage and SIBLING, along with the SS15 trend shows which showed The Outnet's pick of the season's most talked-about trends.


I  love the buzzing atmosphere which surrounds London Fashion Week and Weekend at Somerset House. The fantastic location definitely adds to the drama and excitement of the event. Somerset House is such a fantastic location and is so beautiful.

 
 
During LFW, as well as the catwalk shows taking place throughout the day in the courtyard, each room of Somerset House is filled with individual designers showcasing their collections, along with other fashion and beauty related brands. There are also several talks and master class sessions throughout the day which involve conversations and advice from fashion industry professionals.

 
Working backstage is full of adrenaline and excitement. There's models, hair and makeup people, designers, crew, photographers, dressers, steamers and security running around everywhere. It's definitely all GO GO GO, but I love it! I felt more comfortable this time round as I'd already worked backstage before two years ago, so I knew what to expect and saw a few familiar faces, which is always nice. When you're working in such a hectic environment you have to use your initiative, I'd say that's one of the most important things. There's not someone telling you what to do and when to do it, you just kind of have to figure it out on your own and do it well and fast! For first timers, it can be a bit intimidating, but you quickly get used to how things work and just go with it. If something does go wrong mid-show and you can't get a zipper up or a shoe strap buckled, there's always people on hand to step in and help which is nice. Also, each time I've helped out, I've always made a few friends over the weekend who I've kept in touch with and this year was no different.

Me & Shennelle having some photobooth fun at the Sunglass Hut stand!
 
Before all the catwalk shows began, me and Shennelle got our own turn on the catwalk which was great. It was fun to see what the audiences see while all the franticness is happening backstage.

Me on the catwalk *strike a pose*
 
I'd say one of the best things about working backstage at London Fashion Week or Weekend, is that you get the inside scoop first hand on all the new designer collections and runway pieces before anyone else sees anything! In between working, I managed to get some backstage pictures, so here's a small collection of my time working backstage.......
 
 
 
 










 



 
 
 
The model who I was working with over the weekend was the beautiful Beate. She was so lovely to work with and I loved watching her strut her stuff on the catwalk!
 


 
 
About The Designers:

Halston Heritage
Roy Halston Frowick was the creator of luxury American fashion. Founded in the 1960s, the HALSTON label took the industry by storm, using his signature materials of jersey, cashmere, and suede to reinvent the jumpsuit, the shirtdress, and the classic caftan. Once dubbed "the premier fashion designer in America" by Newsweek, Halston was synonymous with the 1970s and the era of Studio 54. Halston launched it's Heritage brand in 2009 giving signature silhouettes a contemporary spin. The label's draped one-shoulder gowns, fluid jumpsuits and tuxedo tailoring give a Studio 54-inspired take on modern glamour.

I really liked a lot of the designs from this collection. I liked the simplicity, elegance and wear-ability of the pieces shown on the catwalk. The majority of the collection, as shown below was neutral colours: blacks, whites, greys, nudes and pale pinks.

 

 
My gorgeous model Beate in the Halston Heritage show. In real life, this kaftan was stunning!
 
SIBLING
The designers come from Yorkshire, Leicester and London respectively. A collaboration between Joe Bates, Sid Bryan and Cozette McCreery, SIBLING launched in 2008 with a colourful collection of signature knitwear. Before setting up SIBLING, the designers each worked for many brands and design houses, learning that it is “never as easy as it looks and most importantly that invaluable lesson in how not to do something. Also if all else fails: cup of tea, a nice biscuit and laugh!”
The SIBLING girl is pretty but tomboyish and just loves getting dressed up. Hand-crocheted and raffia dresses, knitted black rubber bands, tribal prints, polka dot denim, sheer gingham and frills capture the rebellious mood.

This collection was so quirky, funky and fun! My favourite aspect of this show was the oversized bow headbands that all the models wore on the catwalk, I thought that they made a real impact on the catwalk and also added a girly touch to the outfits. Also, as the brand is partly northern, I also took a liking to the brand as a fellow northerner myself!





The four key SS15 trends were:
 
Hyper Florals ~
The collections were in full bloom this season, as beautiful botanicals embellished everything from ankle-grazing dresses to mix-and-match separates. Florals feel brand new thanks to oversized petals and pops of colour at Marni, Christopher Kane and Peter Pilotto.


 
Shimmer & Shine ~
The new season calls for a bit of razzle dazzle, but these are metallics like you've never seen before. In a season where grown-up glitter reigns supreme, Alexander Wang and Isabel Marant let the light in with blink-and-you'll-miss-them sparkles, radient pastels and glimmering sequins. Work the trend into your daytime wardrobe for style that shakes things up.



 
Make It Monochrome ~
 Nothing beats black and white! A colour combination that never fails to pack a punch. Alexander Wang and 3.1 Phillip Lim made a strong argument for monochrome, with graphic prints, oversized stripes and bold two-tone finishes taking over the runways. Top tip: go head to toe for maximum impact - accessories included.

This was by far my favourite trend from the trend shows. As all of my friends and family would tell you, I pretty much live in monochrome. So this trend was really my cup of tea, and I picked up a lot of outfit ideas from the show.


 
This was one of my favourite outfits from the monochrome catwalk show modelled by gorgeous model Beate.
 
 
That Seventies Show ~
An abundance of suede, crochet and lace on the runways can only mean one thing - the seventies are back! SS15 sees flower child favourites reimagines with a newfound elegance. Look to Diane von Furstenburg's neutral hues and Issa's ever-so-delicate details as a subtle way to work the look.


 

These were two of my favourite outfits from the seventies catwalk show, the second one modelled by my beautiful model Beate. I loved this denim shirt and suede, fringed skirt combo!
 
I also received a free London Fashion Weekend official SS15 tote bag filled with goodies, which was designed by Pringle Of Scotland. The iconic British fashion house Pringle of Scotland created this limited edition tote bag for the February 2015 edition of London Fashion Weekend.
 
 
I'd definitely recommend working at London Fashion Week/Weekend if you're interested in or want a career in the fashion industry. It's a great experience and also a great addition for your CV!
 
I hope you enjoyed reading this post!
 
Laura Jade Jackson
xXx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment